caret icon Back to all discussions

Pneumonia vaccines

I have never had a pneumonia vaccine or a flu shot. I am updated on my covert shots. But I have not had the booster and considering not to get it I would like to hear what you all think about that.

  1. Hi Rosemary,’s good that you are going to talk with your doctor about the vaccines. She knows you and your health, so she should advise.
    The thing with COPD is that your lungs and body become compromised. Depending on your health and the stage that you are in, it can be more difficult for your body to fight off sickness.
    I hope that you have a good appointment. Please, let us know what your doctor recommends.
    Janet (site moderator/

    1. I'm just like you. I have had the first 2 shots. The booster I don't think so. I've never had a flu or pneumonia vaccine. I don't plan on getting them. Where does it end. I was never a sickly person. Until COPD. Boy this is unreal. I can't walk to the car without being at that scary place. I have a rescue inhaler in every room in my purse in my car everywhere. This so sucks.

      1. , contending with COPD is hard and often overwhelming and all you can do is your best. We're here to offer you any support we can! All the best, Sam S. (, team member).

    2. Hi Rosemary, and thanks for your post - you've posed good questions.
      My wife and I have each had both vaccination injections (Pfizer), as recommended, 3 weeks apart. We then took the booster (3rd injection) about 6 1/2 months after that. Now, we are planning to have the second booster (4th) injection in the next week or so. Of course, besides the public service announcements recommending this, we made certain this was the right thing (for us) to do by speaking with our primary physician.
      Before you actually decide not to get the booster, you may want to discuss this with your physician.
      To complete my answer for your concerns - we have taken the flu shot every year since it was offered - we never missed a flu vaccine injection.
      Neither of us have taken the pneumococcal pneumonia injection we don't feel the need and again, our doctor concurs.
      What are your reasons for thinking of declining the booster shot and, for not taking either the pneumonia shot or the annual flu shots?
      Is there anything further you can share with the community at this time?
      Wishing you well,
      Leon (site moderator

      1. I have a appointment on the 18th of April. I will talk to her about all the vaccine's. I won't to make the right decision. Thank you for your concern.

      2. Hi Rosemary, and thanks for responding. That sounds like a very practical (and prudent), way to move forward. Speak with the physician and collaboratively, you and she will make the best choice for your health and future treatment.
        We'll look forward to hearing back from you - wow - the 18th is this coming Monday already!
        Of course, we are always here should you want to discuss anything else.
        Leon (site moderator

    3. , I'm confident other members of our community will chime in with their experience if they have one to share. In the meantime here are a few articles you might find helpful:,, All the best, Sam S. (, team member).

      or create an account to reply.