caret icon Back to all discussions

Drugs to treat COPD

I was tested in 2019 with mild COPD. Since then I’ve had two flare-ups that required antibiotics and a steroid. I use albuterol but not daily and only if I feel shortness of breath. I might use it 4-5 days a month. Last year my Dr prescribed Symbicort which my body absolutely cannot tolerate. I tried twice and within 5 days I had to stop taking it. I was just recently prescribed Trelegy and am on day 4, so far without any issues. That said, I have concerns about taking drugs that I don’t necessarily need right now. I’ve always been the type to push back until it becomes absolutely necessary to take something because I know it will be a lifetime commitment. At this moment, I feel like I don’t need the Trelegy quite yet and I wonder if it will make things worse in the long run. Or, is it too soon as I’m not that advanced in my disease yet. Too, I’m only seeing my GP right now. Should I see a specialist? For reference, I’m 64. Thanks for any feedback. Happy to have found this site. I was searching for why I have rib pain and it brought me here.

  1. I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I agree with Leon, a specialist seems in order as they are highly trained in the treatment of lung conditions. If nothing else, you'll have peace of mind knowing you sought out another opinion and if they also feel you should be on the Trelegy (or not), you can go from there.
    I hope you were able to find the various articles we've had specifically dealing with rib pain. If not, here's one -
    It's often helpful to read the comments and get suggestions for how others deal with the issue.
    Lyn (COPD site moderator)

    1. Hi DebSRQ - and welcome - we are glad you found this site as well. You bring up many good points. You may be aware we cannot provide medical advice or diagnostics over the internet (for your own safety), but your concern certainly warrants a reply.
      Your thoughts and ideas about taking (and not taking), medications are worthwhile and very valid. This is something you will definitely want to discuss further with your physician.
      If you feel the general practitioner who you see now is not up to the task, you may want to seek out (as you suggested), a pulmonologist. These specialist physicians are uniquely trained in the treatment of pulmonary diseases and may provide a higher level of care for you.
      What do you think?
      Leon (site moderator

      1. thanks for your thoughts. I do think it’s prudent to seek out a specialist.

      2. Hi again, Deb - I think so too!
        Please do check back and let us know how this all turns out for you. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please let me or any other moderator / team member know.
        Please know you are always welcome here in our online community.
        Warm regards,
        Leon (site moderator

    or create an account to reply.