Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Does anyone else who is on oxygen have problems with static electricity?

Now that the weather is cold I am having major static shock problems when I turn on a light switch, touch the refrigerator or touch the range. I am running a room size humidifier at night but I am seriously concerned about a possible fire hazard. Any suggestions?

Community Answers
  • Leon Lebowitz, BA, RRT moderator
    6 months ago

    Hi dragonlady1381 and thanks for your post and very practical concern. During the winter months, static electricity can be more active, so it is a good idea to run the humidifier, which you said you’re doing. If you have supplemental oxygen in the household, you do have to be careful of the sparks (from static electricity) and the oxygen enriched atmosphere. If you do a GOOGLE search, you will find all types of suggestions for reducing static electricity in the home. You’ll be able to evaluate those suggestions and do what you think will work best in your environment. Please do check back and let us know how you’re doing. All the best, Leon (site moderator)

  • Share Your Answer