Are my symptoms rib cramping or bloating?

I have just read an article on people with COPD who suffer from rib cramping. I have had COPD for about 14 years now. I get a tightness around the bottom of my ribs and have always put it down to pulled muscles or bruised ribs from exercise and/or coughing. This discomfort I can accept but I also have the feeling that someone has dumped a soggy football under my ribs or in my stomach. I have seen my GP and have had various tests and checks with nothing untoward showing up. My GP does not seem concerned but can not give me a reason for the feeling either. Having had lots of tests I am reasonably sure that there is nothing nasty going on but does anyone else have similar feelings? If I sit up straight it is not as intrusive. If I relax on the sofa I have to sit up and bend forward regularly to ease the pressure. Relaxing on my side is easier than laying on my back. It does not seem to matter if I have eaten or not. Maybe it is just week muscles that are the cause. I do not know but it is with me every day. Sorry this is a long article but I have never voiced my concerns/feelings to anyone before.

Comments

• rhonda61hobo
    6 months ago

I get it also. It’s both you have. It’s from your lungs losing there strength.There like a ballon,they start sagging.My doctor told it better. There not a lot of room inside there.hope it help.nothing they can do about it.

6 months ago

Hi rhonda61hobo and thanks for joining in the conversation about cramping and bloating. We appreciate your input here. Leon (site moderator)

• BeverlyDeMarco
    6 months ago

I went to PULMONARY REHAB TODAY, Techs were very nice and put me on Three different machines, One was the TREADMILL which I WALKED for 15 minutes , the next was a arm and leg bike which I did for 14minutes, and the last was like a bicycle but peddling my arms. Felt very good after exercising and believe this will benefit my Lungs getting stronger. I will be going back on Monday. My ribs still hurt a little and I still get Bloated after eating but learning to deal with that too.

6 months ago

Hi again, Beverly, and thanks for posting your experiences with your first visit to pulmonary rehabilitation. In your other post (on this subject), you mentioned that you went yesterday, while in this post you indicated you went today. The main impression I got from each of your posts is that you did very well and are looking forward to returning. Keep up the good work! Leon (site moderator)

• nurse62619
    10 months ago

Hi, What you describe, while not exactly the same, is definitely a relatable complaint for me. Some days seem worse than others. I was surprised to learn the types of discomfort associated with our condition including rib, back, and even belly pain. I have been given reasons including but not limited to simply the extra energy/work it takes for us to breathe, the hyperinflation of the lungs causing “trapped gas”, cough trauma (this is one that actually causes flank hematomas for me), and of course some of the medications we use to control our symptoms. IF you are not satisfied with your physician DIVORCE THEM! I struggled for a long time trying to get answers and management of the discomfort that can make an okay day with COPD into one that is not! What does work for some of us may not work for all of us and why would it? Keep up on your meds, keep up on your exercise, do your breathing, healthy balanced diet (as best you can), hydrate, and keep a good bowel routine (this is pivotal for me). Advocate for management of your pain, nobody needs to suffer or feel unimportant in that!!!! Positive energy your way!

• Marina
    10 months ago

I have the same. I think it is the lower part of our lungs which do not function any more. Dead tissue. I think that that is also the reason for not eating enough. Its giving not enough space in our stomach. But its my opinion and i am not a physician. May be docters can look at this problem. Have a Nice evening.

10 months ago

Hi Marina and thanks for your post expressing your thoughts about Batcavelady’s brief story. Have you had an opportunity to discuss your symptoms with your own physician? Your doctor may be able to provide you with some insight for your particular condition. We appreciate your input here. All the best, Leon (site moderator)

• Edi Mesa
    10 months ago

I have the exact same issue.
    My ribs feel sore, almost tender if I run my fingers by them. I am very bloated, belching and passing gas.
    I brought it up to my doctor (Pulmonologist) and she gave me a talk about African kids. I left that appointment with the same questions.

I hope it gets better for the both of us.

• rhonda61hobo
    6 months ago

Edi Mesa I once told my lung dr. The same and he said u have to ask your reg.,dr. About that because I only do lungs and cancer of the lungs,so I said why did you ask me for. That was the last time I saw him. But try with some Walmart gas relief and don’t drink anything with bubbles,like soda and beer.It will help alot

10 months ago

Hi Edi and thanks for this post of yours. I’m not quite sure what your pulmonologist was trying to accomplish with her remark. Seems she didn’t want to deal with what was important to you.
    I’m hoping everything improves for you as well.

11 months ago

Hi Batcavelady and thanks for your post. We appreciate you expressing yourself here, especially since you haven’t done this before with anyone! While we cannot provide medical advice or diagnostics over the internet (for your own safety), there is a concern that your physicians have not been able to provide you with any additional insight for your symptoms. I thought you might want to look over any of these articles on rib cramping, to see if they resonate with what you are feeling: https://copd.net/?s=rib+cramps. Please continue reading (below, in the next consecutive post). Thanks, Leon (site moderator)

11 months ago

Hi again Batcavelady – I also thought you might want to look through any or all of these articles on bloating (in view of your stated concern) to see if any of this information provides some clarity for you: https://copd.net/?s=bloating. Please do check back and let us know how you’re doing. I hope your find this to be helpful. All the best, Leon (site moderator)