Rib cramps, bloating and leg pain

I am 65 and have been told I only have 40% lung function. I’ve had bloating and three rib cramps and like so many others the doctors can’t explain why. It sure helped when I found this site and discovered that those issues can be contributed to my COPD. However, I also am having more leg pain than usual. I’ve always attributed my leg pain to my many spine surgeries for scoliosis but since my last surgery in 2007, the leg pain had eased some. Now it’s getting worse and wondered if any of you who suffer from COPD have leg pain too. Just grabbing at straws here.

Comments

• patt1013

I have “rib cramps” and know they go along with my COPD but LEG PAIN? I have been experiencing terrible leg and foot cramps and pain for several months now and have complained to my doctor twice about it.He gave me some leg exercises to do and prescribed gabapentin, which I can not take because it makes me dizzy,sick, and gives me a headache.He never mentioned any relationship between the problem and COPD and I never thought about it being related either. I have been on Symbicort, Spivira, and Prednisone for several years..plenty of steriods there..lol..Thank you so much for this article and bringing this to my attention. I will certainly be talking with my doctor. Again, Thank You

Hi patt1013 and thanks for letting us know about your experiences with COPD, rib cramping and especially the leg and foot cramps you described. It’s good to hear this article has provided you with some valuable information and the drive to go and speak with your physician again.
    Please check back with us and let us know how you’re doing.
    All the best,

• WandaT

I have Pulmonary Hypertension and have to take BP meds. These diuretic pills cause frequent urination to rid my body of excess fluid. The side effects of this is stripping my body of it’s minerals. I was cramping horribly until I figured out how to combat this. BP meds in the morning with time released Potassium (Klor Con). Before bed, I take 95mg. Potassium Carbonate, 200 mg. Magnesium, and 5mg. muscle relaxer. My feet only cramp occasionally instead of all night long.

• AnnieM

Hi, I too suffer debilitating leg pain and foot cramps, almost every night of the week and daily. I describe pain as a knife ripping up and down from knees, Simultaneously, severe and wakes me up from sound sleep in tears. When I fall back to sleep, it will strike again. Sometimes 3-4 times a night. Next day residual effects linger. I use a peppermint foot lotion made by JR Watkins (available at Rite Aid) & an arthritis cream. When I sleep thru the night. Yayyy

Hi AnnieM – I’m so glad you have found something that works so well for you. After the debilitating episodes you described, I imagine it must be a real relief to finally be able to sleep through the night. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
    All the best,

• Rosemarie

I also suffer from leg pain and cramps in my belly.if I bend or turn round quite it feels like I’m knocting up

• Meaghan Coneys moderator

Hi Hunbun,

Thank you for sharing your story! We are so happy you are a part of our community and have found our site helpful. Sorry to hear you’re experiencing leg pain. The following article discusses the relationship between bone and muscle conditions and COPD – https://copd.net/basics/conditions/bone-and-muscle/. I thought you would find it helpful and perhaps could provide further understanding into the pain you experience. If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to reach out. We love hearing from you.

Warmly,

Meaghan (COPD.net Team)

Hi Hunbun and thanks for letting us know how you feel about our site, we appreciate it.
    You are certainly not alone, as you’ve discovered. Many of our members have similar concerns/issues with rib cramping, bloating and even leg pain. I thought you might find it helpful to look over this article on conditions related to COPD: https://copd.net/basics/conditions/ While you may get feedback from the community on the leg pain you’re having, if the pain persists or worsens (as you’ve described), I would urge you to see your doctor for a reassessment of the condition.
    Please know that you are always welcome here.
    We would appreciate you checking back with us to let us know how you’re doing.
    All the best,