Pre Double Lung Transplant

I will be 62 this summer. I was diagnosed 2 years ago with COPD. It happened in a blink of an eye. I went into afib. Long story short my heart is good but sent me to critical care pulmonary. Was informed I needed double lung transplant.

Needless to say at first I thought I was given a death sentence. I am on oxygen, my life has totally changed. Can not take breathing meds as it sends me into afib. I consider myself blessed as I am not in pain. I tell myself I am not sick just my lungs are.

I have been so lucky only one hospital stay. I get tested every 6 months and was just informed it was time to go on the list. I have another appointment this month. I pray for everyone with this disease, I also ask for prayers. (Yes was ex smoker, but was also told it was hereditary and environment.) Stay positive, find the good in every day!!!

Comments

View Comments (7)
  • Raven

Hi Banagirl, I’m in Alabama as well. Did you read my story here on COPD NET ? I’m wondering if you have the same Pulmonary Dr. If you want we can communicate and be each other’s copd buddy.

• Bamagirl author

Hi Raven. I don’t live in Alabama. I am a big time Bama football fan. Would love to chat whenever you want. Yes I am scared, not of the transplant but the anti rejection drugs. Hope you are having a good day.

• Casey Hribar moderator

Hi Bamagirl,

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! We’re here for you, and so grateful to have you in our community! I’m sure this must be a truly scary and confusing time for you, receiving the news of needing a transplant. However, reading about your attempts to remain positive and count your blessings as opposed to feeling too overwhelmed makes me so happy! I know it’s impossible to remain positive at all times, but reading about your mentality was great. I especially liked how you said, “I tell myself I am not sick, just my lungs are.” That really stood out to me. I found this article you may connect with, about waiting for a lung transplant, and the next steps in the process, https://copd.net/living/waiting-lung-transplant/

I’m sorry to hear that you are unable to take breathing medication. I found this article about natural remedies that you may find helpful, https://copd.net/treatment/natural-remedies-overview/ I also found a few articles on using oxygen both on the go, and at home since you mentioned utilizing oxygen. You can find these here, https://copd.net/living/dos-donts-supplemental-oxygen/ and here https://copd.net/living/traveling-with-oxygen/

You are so not alone, and we’re here for whatever you may need. Even if it’s just an ear to listen! Please keep us posted, and we’re all wishing you some relief soon!

Best,

Casey (COPD.net Team)

• Casey Hribar moderator

Hi TracyCarnahan! I’m so glad you found those links helpful! We’re so grateful to have you in our community, and want you to know we’re here for you. We hope you’ll keep us posted on your upcoming journey. I sincerely hope you are able to receive the transplant, and will continue to reach out with any questions, comments, and updates!

Warmly, Casey (COPD.net Team)

• TracyCarnahan

Hi Casey, thanks for sharing the link to Living/Waiting for a Transplant, the Next Steps. I am currently working on meeting the requirements to be placed on the transplant list. Taking the mystery out of the process really helps my mindset.

• Casey Hribar moderator

Of course, Bamagirl! Thank you for sharing with us, and please know we’re here for you always. Even if it’s just as an ear to listen! Please keep us posted!

Best, Casey (COPD.net Team)

• Bamagirl author

Thank you so much for your reply. I really am doing well. Dr. said I could wait 6 mos to go on the list. So blessed to have this option. Have appt this month for more tests. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for listening.