Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

After reading a lot of stories most of which sounded a lot like me (hospitalization, oxygen, pulmonary rehab), seven weeks ago I had lung volume reduction surgery. It sure helped me although I don’t see anybody talking about it. I know I had to go through a lot of testing to see if I was a candidate but I can’t believe I’m the only one.

Comments

View Comments (7)
  • CathyinMB

Hi Gbeards,
    The improvement I received from the LVRS was I could actually lead a normal life. No oxygen and the only medicine I was on was spriva and advair. I had a rescue inhaler but for years didn’t need it. I forgot that I had emphysema even if my numbers said differently compared to someone else my height,weight and gender. I’m not terrible now just definitely can tell my numbers have decreased over the last year. I use my rescue inhaler daily now and use oxygen at night. I get pretty winded doing normal everyday stuff like showering and doing housework. So my next step will be inquiring about a transplant and when the time is right to do that. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. The LVRS surgery was the hardest thing I’ve lived through but don’t think I’d be here if I didn’t have it. Take care, CathyinMB

• Claire73

Hi I had lvrs in 2014. It was an rough ride and was in hospital for 5 weeks. I noticed and big difference first of all butility my breathing has got an lot worse recently. I am prone to constantly chest infections every 5or 6 weeks. I’m just getting more breathless now as can’t do anything when Ill so amuch having to use my oxygen and lot more out and about now rather than just when having an infection. Am concerned my breathing usual returns to at least the level I can walk short distances but of late I can’t even do that with out oxygen. X

Hi Claire73 and thanks so much for sharing your recent experiences. From what you say it sounds like you’re facing some newer challenges with your breathing and repeated chest infections. We encourage folks to monitor themselves and, when symptoms persist or even worsen, it is a good idea to check in with your physician for a reassessment. You might find it helpful to look over this article on the symptoms of COPD: https://copd.net/symptoms/severe-symptoms/ Please check back with us and let us know how you’re doing.
    All the best,
    Leon (site moderator)3

• CathyinMB

I had LVRS 10 years ago and it made a world of difference for me!! It was a rough surgery but the outcome was worth it. My breathing over the last 6 months has gotten worse but unfortunately that’s the progression of emphysema. I’m now inquiring into what’s next. Perhaps lung transplant. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask, there is a lot of knowledge on this website. Take care, CathyinMB

• Dam546

When you say it made a world of difference, could you walk longer? climb stairs? Did you use oxygen? Thanks in advance Denise

• Jenn Patel

Hi Gbeards –

Thanks so much for sharing and congratulations on what sounds like a successful surgery for you! We appreciate your talking about it with the community.

While you may get feedback from community members on personal experience, I did want to let you know that we have a page on LVRS, if you’re interested: https://copd.net/treatment/surgery-overview/lung-volume-reduction/.

We welcome you to come by any time! Thanks again for sharing your story.

Best,
    Jenn (Community Manager, COPD.net)

• Gbeards author

Hi Cathy, i’m glad to hear that LV RS help to for 10 years, sorry to hear that things aren’t real good lately, I know Denise asked about how well it helped you, I know for me the surgeon told me it would turn the clock back five years for me and it seems to be true I currently use no oxygen I still take my walks and I able to go up and down steps so it has been wonderful for me, and I wish everyone could do that well! I’ve had a little trouble navigating this site, but I would be glad to talk to anybody about it