Cancer

I have COPD! Just found out I have lung cancer! Just in my right lower lobe. I am actually glad I had a COPD exacerbation. They did a chest CT and found the spot! Had pet scan. Only had the one spot. Had BX last week. See oncologist next week. I am scared, but trying to stay positive! I quit smoking 3 years ago.

Comments

View Comments (12)
  • Lyn Harper, RRT moderator
    12 months ago

sverona thank you for the update, that’s great news! We’ll be keeping our fingers crossed for you. I can’t believe how far they’ve come with radiation treatments. It’s really amazing! Keep up that positive attitude.

Warm Regards,
    Lyn (moderator)

• sverona author
    12 months ago

Thanks

• sverona author
    12 months ago

My oncology appointment went well. In fact I have my first radiation treatment tomorrow. They are going to do SBRT. They didn’t know if they could do it that way because the tumor was located so close to my vertebrae. If the radiation touched my vertebrae I would be paralyzed from the waist down. At The radiation center last week they made the mold that I lay in and did all sorts of measurements. I actually had no idea what they were doing! I was there for three hours! Everything looked OK for them to do the SBRT. I will be getting five treatments going every other day. Instead of with the standard radiation I would be going a lot longer. They will do another CAT scan a month after the radiation treatments are done. I just want the cancer gone! I am keeping a positive attitude with lots of support.

12 months ago

Hi sverona and thanks for providing us with your update. Your news and treatment are extremely encouraging – you must be so happy with the progress. Keep up the good work!
    All the best,

• Edi Mesa
    12 months ago

I hope all goes well!!!!

• wally2
    1 year ago

sverona, sorry you have had cancer news but things have moved on so much in last 10 years so look on bright side, many people now with lung cancer live many years so good luck
    wally

• Noel.Martin
    1 year ago

Hi Sverona, This is the one time you can say thank goodness for COPD. I am so glad that you caught this diagnosis. I already know that you are a strong person because it takes a lot of strength to quit smoking; Congratulations on that! I also wanted to let you know about our sister site LungCancer.net. It is full of information and support that you may find helpful. Please know that you are not alone and we are here anytime that you feel like reaching out to us. Thank you for sharing your story with us and we wish you all of the best. Let us know how your oncology appointment goes next week if you would like.

Warnly,
    Noel (COPD.net Team)

• sverona author
    1 year ago

Thanks so much for the comment. I will check into the LungCancer.net.

• Lyn Harper, RRT moderator
    1 year ago

sverona – I’m so sorry about your recent lung cancer diagnosis, but I’m so happy they found it when they did! I guess we should all be thankful for those small blessings. It’s perfectly natural to be scared. Hopefully once you see the oncologist and formulate a plan it will put your mind at ease some.

You’re doing all the right things – especially trying to stay positive. That is so imporatant! And quitting smoking when you did was the best thing you could have done!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,
    Lyn (moderator)

1 year ago

We’re here for support, sverona. I see that both Lyn and Noel have responded positively and I’m adding my voice as well. Hang in there and be sure to check back and let us know how you’re doing. Good luck with your visit to the oncologist! All the best, Leon (site moderator)

1 year ago

Hi again sverona (Sue). Glad to hear you got a good report during your visit with the pulmonologist today. Since you mentioned you have stage 2 COPD by the GOLD classification and, were interested in knowing more, I thought you might find it helpful to look over this article we have published on the stages of COPD: https://copd.net/basics/copd-stages/. You will note (in the references) that these stages are based on the GOLD classification from 2014. You can find those here: http://www.goldcopd.org.
    You may also be interested in knowing, those standards have been revised somewhat, which occurred this year (2017). Should you be interested in them as well, just let us know.
    Warm regards,

• sverona author
    1 year ago

Thank you all for the support! I saw my Pulm. Dr. today. He said no wheezing, lungs sounded good today! I feel good today also! I have stage 2 moderate COPD by Gold classification. I guess I should look that up.
    Sue