Bowel Control
RATE
Profile photo of KyRon

I have a problem of when I get in breathing distress, I have the urge for a bowel movement. I have to stop before I get started doing things and visit the restroom. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their COPD. I also have experienced the rib cramping too.

Stories posted on COPD.net solely represent the personal points of view, experiences and opinions of their authors.
SubscribeJoin 11,000 subscribers to our weekly newsletter.

Your username will be visible to others.

7 comments on “Bowel Control

1. Profile photo of breathe breathe says:

Me, too. I’ve learned that my O2 use has essentially cured my bowel and urine incontinence. Before I went on oxygen, incontinence occurred like clock work when I was active, think walking from parking lot into Costco. It was explained to me that it’s because oxygen goes first to so-called vital organs, think heart. The bladder and colon aren’t vital to life, so oxygen may be withheld. Therefore, the muscles aren’t as active when low on oxygen.

I’m sure a HCP would explain it differently.

2. Profile photo of Leon Lebowitz, RRT Leon Lebowitz, RRT moderator says:

Your synopsis is right on target, Breathe. Thanks for putting it all into your own words. We appreciate your input.
    All the best, Leon (site moderator)

3. Profile photo of KyRon KyRon author says:

Thanks to all that responded to my posting. Knowing that I am not the only one with this problem makes me feel a little more normal but then again I am sorry that anyone has to go through this. Thanks for sharing.

4. Profile photo of Erin Rush Erin Rush moderator says:

Hi KyRon! I am sorry you are dealing with these issues, but I can tell you that you are not alone! As you can see from the member comment and from the links Leon provided, these are issues that are not unfamiliar in the COPD community. If you haven’t checked it out already, you might enjoy visiting our Facebook community — https://www.facebook.com/copddotnet/. There is always some lively conversations going on in the comments! I hope it helps you to know you are not alone! We are glad to have you here and thank you for sharing with us. Best, Erin, COPD.net Team Member.

5. Profile photo of 1952@ JumJum 1952@ JumJum says:

I have the same problem with my urine and bowel’s. I was
    taken to the ER Monday before Thanksgiving with breathing
    issues and was given Laxis, due to having Congestive Heart
    Failure and yes that worked. Also an Inhaler w/steroids.
    Went home on Thanksgiving Day.
    I had a pulmonary breathing test done and also found out
    that I am also Moderate Stage II COPD. What a shocker that was to find out.
    But back to my urine and bowel problem. I need to make
    sure that I go immediately when the urge hits me to get
    to the bathroom or otherwise OOPS!!! But I am not
    a shame to say that I need to wear Depends because just
    in case of an OOPS!!

I am really sorry that you are going through this. You
    may talk with me anytime so please free to do so. Be
    well and God Bless.
    My name is Janice

6. Profile photo of breathe breathe says:

You’ve described my problems perfect. One more issue: for me the use of oxygen has almost eliminated the OOPS. I don’t know why. Good luck to all of us.

7. Profile photo of Leon Lebowitz, RRT Leon Lebowitz, RRT moderator says:

We hear you, Kyron, and you are not alone. In view of your comments, While you may get feedback from our community members, I thought you might find it helpful and interesting to review this material.
    First, this one- on embarrassing situations: https://copd.net/living/an-embarrassing-situation/

And second, this one on rib cramping: https://copd.net/living/community-feedback-rib-cramping/
    Wishing you the best,

Please read our rules before commenting.
Reader favorites