Spotlight: Mental Health Month
Did you know that May is Mental Health Month? So this month, here at COPD.net, we bring you articles and activities that discuss the connection between COPD and mental health!
How to manage mental health with COPD
Quite often, people find that they're facing not only the physical symptoms of COPD such as shortness of breath, bloating, wheezing, or coughing, but also other hard-to-see symptoms - such as anxiety, panic attacks, or depression. It's crucial to know that if that's you, you're not alone!
Right now you might be asking yourself, is there anything we can do about it? Fortunately, there is!
- First, commend yourself for recognizing these symptoms and please remember that you don't have to deal with this alone!
- Next, we encourage anyone who thinks they might be experiencing anxiety, depression, or panic attacks to talk honestly and openly with their doctors and/or specialists about it.
- And, in addition to medical treatment for what is a medical issue (because that's what mental health is - a medical issue!), many people find that the more they talk about it, the "lighter the load" starts to feel!
That being said, we encourage you to participate as much or as little as you like in our spotlight activities this month...
Participate in our community
Do you certain ways to cope with the mental aspects of COPD? OR, do you have a question you’d like to ask? Please share it with us in our
Have you experienced anxiety, depression, panic attacks, or any other mental health issue related to your COPD? Share your story with the community!
If you're on Twitter, follow us there to talk! Include our handle (@COPD_HU) in your tweet and we'll be happy to respond!
Have you ever experienced changes in your mental health due to COPD?
Helpful articles around mental health
- COPD and Depression
So often with a chronic illness, a person becomes depressed. It gets so difficult to feel like we struggle so often. We get sick of being sick… tired of being so tired and on and on...
- Anxiety with COPD: Panic Attacks
My eyes blurred the page I was reading. I looked up and it dawned on me that I was taking deeper and deeper breaths. Inhaling, in-in-in-in, then exhaling out-out-out. Again, in-in-in-in-in, out-out-out-out. Why was I doing that? Why was I suddenly so short of breath?...
- Expert Answers: Mental Impact of COPD
Dealing with COPD can be stressful, both physically and emotionally. Having a community of understanding people around you – whether they’re patients, caregivers, experts, family members, or friends (in-person and online!) – can be extremely helpful, however, we wanted to find out more from our experts...
Are you looking for tips on combating anxiety with COPD?