Pets: What’s Your Experience?
RATE

Many people in the COPD.net community enjoy the companionship of a wonderful pet – especially during tough times. See if you can relate, and please share your COPD-related experiences with your pet in the comments below! We’d love to hear your pet stories!

Some people in the community have found that their pet acts differently before or during a COPD flare. It’s as if they know something is happening!

If your pet seems to notice when you’re feeling down, you’re not alone! Based on the experiences of community members here at COPD.net, that can be common!

Isn’t it interesting when your pet is protective of you? Some of our community members have noticed this happening more due to COPD symptoms at times!

Many people say that the unconditional love of a pet not only brightens their day, but helps them get through rough spots with COPD.

This might sound unbelievable, but we’ve heard from community members that sometimes when they cough due to COPD, their pet starts coughing too! It’s amazing what a connection there can be between pets and the owners who love them!

Thank goodness for the compassion of a good pet! It’s almost like they can tell when you need a hug… and they do their best to give you one!

Many people find it challenging to exercise, yet getting out to walk or play with your pet can be a great way to take on this challenge.

It can be really hard to get a good night’s sleep when you have COPD. Some pet owners have noticed that their pet stays awake with them during those hard nights!

Many people find it so comforting to have a pet by their side during struggles with COPD.

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts about this topic of pets and dealing with COPD! Please feel free to add any additional thoughts in the comments.

SubscribeJoin 18,000 subscribers to our weekly newsletter.

Your username will be visible to others.

9 comments on “Pets: What’s Your Experience?

1. GeckoGal says:

My dog weighs no more than an oxygen bottle. She’s ten pounds of love and makes me laugh just about every day. If I cry, she’s on my lap and will lick the tears if I allow. If I’m sad, I remember that it affects her as well as my husband–so I work hard to see if there’s a reasonable way out of feeling sad. She’s small enough that I can take her for a walk at my pace and it’s enough for her. She is named “Meli,” which means Honey in Hawaiian. She is a honey.

2. Jenn Patel moderator says:

What a beautiful story about your dog, GeckoGal! Thank you so much for sharing with us. Meli (aka Honey) sounds like such a wonderful furry friend. I’m so happy to hear about how much she and your husband help you – it’s beautiful to hear that you “work hard to see if there’s a reasonable way out of feeling sad.” And if you are still sad after that, please know you’re not alone – it’s very natural to have sadness come up when dealing with something difficult, such as COPD. You have all of us – in addition to Meli and your husband – rooting for you and here to listen any time. Warmly, Jenn (COPD.net Team)

3. blackjack says:

Caroly, That was a lovely story. My Pumpkin (dog) had Cushing’s diagnosed when she was only 2 years old. She lived to be almost 20, my Vet was amazed I kept the lysodren she was on slightly under dose then every 3 months a little more. I don’t know if it made the difference – she died in my arms. Now I’m left with Buddy who is 12 with no problems except arthritis

4. caroly says:

Hah! Kenny has Cushing’s disease. That means he’s gotta go when he’s gotta go. And Cushing’s means that’s a lot and often. Two hours prevents vertical artwork and is a preventative measure! Gotta love him. He’s got bionic knees and has had surgery for a tumor on his liver. Plus the Cushing’s. He’s our 15k rescue mutt. 🙂

PS The cat is Sassy. I went to the vet with her a couple of weeks ago. Vet comes into the exam room and says, “What’s your cat’s name.” I’m blank. There’s nothing in my head. Total panic. “I don’t know what my cat’s name is.” Vet’s face and eyes say exactly what he’s thinking. I don’t tell him I’ve got low O2. He might back sloooowly out of the room. 🙂

5. Casey Hribar moderator says:

Wow! What an amazing pup rehabilitation story, caroly! You must have such a loving and warm home to open up your lives to give your rescue pup all of the care and support he needs! I have two rescue dogs myself who have completely changed my life! And I loved the story about Sassy at the vet! Haha! I could completely picture the whole thing! These things happen! Thanks for sharing all of that with us! Warm wishes, Casey (COPD.net Team)

6. Omgoodness! How embarrassing, funny, frustrating! I have had this happen to me but with friends, not professionals. Lolol

7. caroly says:

My doggers do one vital thing: they make me get up and move. They want brekkies, they want diners, they want potty-outs every two hours. I might sit for hours, but not on their watch. Gotta go see if Kenny is in the candy box (cat box) if he disappears. Then the cat insists on being fed or she starts knocking all the stuff off of the counter. She needs her cat box clean or there will be a protest in the bathroom corner. I wish I knew how to post a picture of them sleeping all on top of me! Kenny and Itsy are cocker spaniels, and the cat is wellll… a black fluffy cat.

8. Lyn Harper, RRT moderator says:

caroly –

Thank you for telling us about Kenny, Itsy, and the cat (what’s the cat’s name?). It’s good to have them depending on us to feed, take out, and just sit with. They can really make life complete.

Regards,
    Lyn (moderator)

9. janiceiler says:

I have never heard of anyone taking their pets out every two hours….you don’t need to go to the gym, lol…. how do you get any rest?

Please read our rules before commenting.
Reader favorites