The Stigma Around Pain and Medications
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The COPD.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Carr DB. Patients with pain need less stigma, not more. Pain Medicine. 1 Aug 2016; 17(8), 1391-1393. Available from: https://academic.oup.com/painmedicine/article/17/8/1391/2223343. Accessed December 3, 2018.
- Cohem M, Quniter J, et al. Stigmatization of patients with chronic pain: The extinction of empathy. Pain Medicine. 1 Nov 2011; 12(11), 1637-1643. Available from: https://academic.oup.com/painmedicine/article/12/11/1637/1872879. Accessed December 3, 2018.
- Opioid Overdose: Understanding the Epidemic. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html. Published August 30, 2017. Accessed December 3, 2018.
- Waugh OC, Byrne DG, Nicholas MK. Internalized stigma in people living with chronic pain. J Pain. May 2014; 15(5), 550.e1-10.
- Newton BJ, Southall JL, et al. A narrative review of the impact of disbelief in chronic pain. Pain Manag Nurs. Sep 2013; 14(3), 161-171.